Skip to main content


Showing posts from March, 2018

Brane Cantenac 2007

Despite 2007 not being the best of vintages in Bordeaux, this Margaux by Ch. Brane Cantenac is just delicious. Spring was wet and summer cold. The harvest was rescued by a warm September. The blend that year was 53% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot and 8% Cabernet Franc. The harvest took place late September to 12 October. Only 25% of the grapes were used to make the Brane Cantenac. 18 months maturation in French oak with 60% new oak. Superb medium dark red colour. Delightful nose of dark fruit, chocolate, tobacco and flowers. The taste is full bodied but also "light" with a lovely fresh acidity and perfect soft tannins. Long well balanced aftertaste. A very nice Bordeaux indeed. Brane Cantenac 2007 Margaux Ca 40€ but now more like 70€

Ch. Lanessan 2008

2008 is perhaps not the best of years in Bordeaux but Ch. Lanessan continue to provide good value for money. This Cabernet Sauvignon dominated red from haut Medoc near the borders of Saint Julien is drinking beautifully now. The tannins have been sufficiently softened and the balance is just right. Both red and dark fruit on the nose with some vanilla, cedertree, herbs  and flowers. Quite an attractive yet discrete nose. The taste is smooth and beautifully balanced and quite light although quite full bodied as well. This will go well with most food due to the freshness of the fruit and soft structure. Ch. Lanessan 2008 Haut Medoc ca 260 NOK or 20€

Malescasse 2012/2007

This is a cru bourgeois from Medoc in Bordeaux which makes consistently good wines even from tricky vintages. Having tried this 2012 and 2007 recently its quite apparent that this is a Bordeaux wine which provides very good value for money. Medium dark red colour. Gorgeous nose of red, dark fruit, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, stable and hints of minerals. Full bodied wine with firm but soft tannins. Long well balanced finish. Quite a masculine Bordeaux style. More than 50% Cabernet Sauvignon and 40% Merlot. Drink 2007 now and stock up the 2012... Ch, Malescasse 2012/2007  Haut Medoc ca 270/220 kr or 15/20€ The increase in price from 2007 to 2012 reflects the increased Bordeaux market prices due to the great 2009/2010 vintages.

Chablis 2012 Defaix

There are many different producers of village Chablis wines. The grapes are of course 100% Chardonnay but behind the different labels there are quite many different styles. Defaix makes his village Chablis from 45 year old vines. The vinification takes place at 18c and takes about 3 weeks. The wine undergoes malolactic fermentation and also spend 18 months on the lees which is most unusual. In addition he performs the "battonage" once a week as they do in Burgundy. The end result is thus a Chablis that is much more like a white Burgundy in style, away from the green apple, lemon and minerals notes and more towards creamy texture, butter and floral notes. The wine therefore fits better with food of more substance and umami. We tried it with slightly fried salmon with a creamy sauce and it was a magical match. Chablis 2012 Vieilles Vignes Daniel Etienne Defaix Ca 238 NOK or 15€

Sancerre 2016 Boulay

There are many different producers (managers) of Sancerre. They all have their own style and expression of the Sauvignon Blanc from this region. This one has the expression of 45 years old ecological grown vines from the area around Chavignol. And I must it is one of my favourite Sancerre. Not the cheapest one, but definitely one of the best ones. Beautiful complex aromatic nose citrus, flowers, minerals and green and yellow fruit. Long, complex and well balanced taste. Lovely acidity touch of minerality. Sancerre 2016 Gerard Boulay Ca 270NOK or 20€

Mauro 2010

This is a monster of a wine and is so powerful that you might struggle to match food with it. But it is a fantastic wine that can be stored for a long long time or you can drink it now. 90% Tempranillo or Tinto del Pais as this version of the grape is called in Castilla y Leon. The remaining 10% is Syrah. The colour of the wine is intense deep blue red, already there you understand that this is a different animal. On the nose it is very complex packed with lots of dark fruit, plum, coffee, chocolate and spices. Wonderful stuff! The taste is big, solid, long, velvet tannins, soft, elegant and smooth. Massive big bodied wine that unfortunately blows most food away. Its probably just best on its own. Mauro 2010 Castilla y Leon (VdT) Ca 350 NOK or 30€